Tuesday, April 8, 2014

What to write about?

Write what you know... That's what I've heard anyway. But, what do I know? I keep thinking about that Sam Cooke song, Wonderful World
Don't know much about history,
Don't know much Biology,
Don't know much about a science book,
Don't know much about the French I took...
I don't know much about anything in particular, but I sure know lots of bits of information about lots of stuff. Is this blog going to be about anything in particular? Maybe. I'm hoping that it will just kind of find itself along the way. Much the same way I hope to find myself along the way. I've spent the last seven years being a stay-at-home mom. I've been wife, mom, daughter, chauffeur, teacher, principal, cook, nurse, referee, coach, travel agent, interior decorator, etc. The list goes on and on and on. Don't get me wrong, I love my life, being home with my kids has been the most rewarding experience I could have ever have asked for. I would not trade the time I've spent with my kids for any amount of money. But, somewhere along the way, I think I seem to have forgotten who I am. Ok, kinda cliché, I know. But it's true, when you devote so much time to those around you, you end up giving up a little of yourself along the way.

My children are slowly leaving the nest. My eldest, Connor, decided to leave our homeschool this past Fall and is attending a wonderful charter school for his Sophomore year. My younger son, Kieran, will be a Freshman there this Fall. Which now leaves me with the question... what do I want to be now that I've grown up?

I have a degree in psychology, but as the saying goes...that and $2.50 will buy me a token on the NYC subway. I've toyed with the idea of returning to school to advance my degree, but when you're trying to save for your teenagers' college funds, it doesn't leave a lot of room in the budget for such thoughts. And, to be honest, what I wanted at eighteen, isn't necessarily what I want at (ahem - not going to say.) So, I guess I'm going to fall back on the fact that my Psychology degree came from a liberal arts college which required lots of writing. And, while I may not have appreciated that requirement while attending, I am thankful for it now because I think one of my strengths is the ability to write. I'm not about to write the next best American novel, but I think, or at least I hope, I can handle writing a blog :)

I guess I'm ready to start my next chapter. How will that chapter start? What tale will it tell? Will there be any twists along the way? Well, I guess I'm about to find out...and, yes, I'm looking forward to the adventure and sharing it with you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment